Sunday, November 6, 2011

Things we miss.....

So we've been here in Alaska for a little over 2 months now & it is setting in that there are certain things we love that we will not be able to enjoy here...... like good restaurants, entertainment, & shopping.  So far I have gone through major withdrawals from Chipotle, Olive Garden, & Panda Express.  Good thing Kolt can cook because the restaurants here are not very good.  Everything in Sitka is small businesses & locally owned.  The only chain businesses here are McDonalds & Subway.  Out of the 15 or so restaurants here, we have found 3 that we like.  We have yet to go to the movie theater but that might change when "Breaking Dawn" comes out.  There is nothing else for entertainment here really other than the bars.  Not even a bowling alley.  I have given up completely on shopping here & have resorted to online shopping & sending a list to Mandy so she can shop for me, haha.  I have already encountered problems with online shopping though.  Ordering clothes are a pain b/c if it doesn't fit I have to pay to ship it back.  We needed a few extra pieces of furniture once we got settled in, but I couldn't find stores that would ship furniture or big/bulky items to Sitka.  We ended up buying a new dresser for almost $300 & still had to put it together ourselves.  I did manage to score a used computer desk for $30 from a co-worker.  Another downside to online shopping is that I get so excited about the things I buy but then I have to wait at least a week for it to get delivered.  We still need to get an ironing board & I have found 1 store that carries only 1 kind & it is $55.  That is one of the items that I cannot get shipped to Sitka.
Daylight saving time ended today & so we are now 2 hours behind Arizona.  It will be dark by 4:30 now & we will continue to lose daylight everyday.  The weather has gotten a lot colder & we got a little snow on Friday.  It is supposed to snow again this week but we are also getting a lot of rain. 

Here are a few pictures from one of Kolt's recent fishing trips out on his friends boat.