Monday, February 13, 2012

Preparing for baby

Operation "prepare for baby" is in full effect in the Foreman house.  Since I am now in my 2nd trimester & have a lot more energy & have been feeling great, I have not only been able to keep up with the house work, (I owed Kolt for my 1st trimester's weeks of laying on the couch), but we have also started re-organizing & making space for the baby.  Ever since Kolt & I got married, we have always managed to have 2 separate closets, which has pleased us both.  But now that we have a little one coming, Kolt had to move all of his stuff out of the guest room & into our bedroom.  I don't mind this as our room is big enough for the both of us, haha, but Kolt was not happy about the lack of "man space" he will now have.  Thankfully, he has accepted the new concept of sharing closet space & we are both happy with the outcome.  After hours of shopping online for the perfect crib & dresser in a decent price range & from a company that would ship to Alaska, our furniture arrived last week & thankfully not damaged at all.  I ordered from Kohl's & got what I would consider to be an amazing deal.  Both the crib & the dresser were on sale & I also had a 15% off coupon.  Shipping for both pieces was under $100 & I earned $70 in Kohl's cash for a future purchase.  Our furniture was also delivered within a week of when I ordered it.  With the Kohl's cash, another 15% off coupon, free shipping, & a gift card from Christmas, I was also able to order a crib mattress that was on sale.  I ended up paying $5 for a crib mattress that is normally sold for $120.  This past weekend Kolt & I got to work, cleaning out the guest room, & re-organizing the laundry room & storage closet & putting the baby furniture together.  You can guess which of us did the furniture building & who did the re-organizing.  I must say, Kolt did a GREAT job putting our baby's furniture together & it looks great.  Now, we have 3-4 weeks until we can find out the sex of the baby & start picking out the crib bedding & decorating the room.  Since we only have a 2 bedroom house, an extra bed (which would not fit in the storage unit), & hope to have many visitors while we live here, we couldn't give up the guest room completely.  Plane tickets are expensive enough to fly here, we couldn't possibly expect our visitors to pay for a hotel room also, therefore, the 2nd room is now the baby's room & the guest room.  It will have all of the baby's stuff as well as the guest bed, which will match the baby room decor.  When visitors come, the baby will stay in our room or can stay in the laundry room which is almost the equivalent in size to a regular bedroom.  Don't worry, we aren't that cruel to stick our baby in a closet, there is plenty of space & a big window.  If we have a lot of visitors as once, we actually plan on setting up an air mattress in this room for guests.  The down side to keeping the extra bed in the baby's room is that we don't have a lot of room for extra furniture that I would like such as a glider & ottoman & a changing table.  I am actually still debating on if we have the space to fit a changing table comfortably with everything we have in there now.  I know most of you are just as concerned about the lack of space so I will keep you updated ;)