Monday, December 30, 2013

Holiday Recap

Months of planning and anticipation, done and over in just two days.  Every year I look forward to Christmas, as I'm sure most people do.  It is my absolute, hands down, most favorite holiday EVER!  It has always been such an exciting and eventful time of year, especially after getting married.  Between both Kolt and I, we usually have a scheduled route mapped out days before hand just to make sure we see all of our family.
Our First Christmas in Sitka was a sad, lonely, somewhat depressing holiday, for me at least.  It was the first Christmas we had spent away from our family and our busy holiday traditions.  It was our first winter in Alaska, so we were still adjusting to the cold dark weather.  I was in my first trimester of my pregnancy, so I wasn't interested in food, wearing anything besides yoga pants and a sweatshirt, or socializing with anyone other than Kolt or Gunner.  Since we didn't know a whole lot of people we hadn't established very many close friendships and so it was just Kolt and I.
I was NOT going to let that happen.  Ever.  Again.
Once we decided to stay in Sitka for Christmas, I immediately started a list in my head of things to do, crafts to make, traditions to start, and treats to bake.  I have become obsessed with making all Holidays fun for Brinleigh and Christmas is no exception.I don't care that she's only one and won't remember when she's older.


So, for the 2013 Holiday Season in Sitka we....... 
  
Had a bake day.  The girls baked at one house while the guys watched the babies and hung out at our house.



Visited Santa.  Twice.  Both times ended in hysterical crying from our sweet girl who apparently did not like Santa this year.


Drove around looking at all of the Christmas lights while listening to Christmas music on pandora and sipping on hot chocolate (warm milk in a bottle for Brinleigh).

Had family pictures taken for our very first family Christmas cards (which were sent out late due to arriving late).

Shopped online, checked the front porch eagerly every day for packages, and then wrapped a crazy amount of gifts.

Dressed Brinleigh in Christmas Pajamas and festive outfits.







Attended the annual Coast Guard Christmas party.

Decorated the entire house, including our brand new 6' Christmas tree, and even went a little overboard on the outdoor Christmas lights.




Attended my work Christmas party. 

Made stockings for our friends who were coming over for Christmas dinner.

I actually sat down and watched the movie "A Christmas Story" from beginning to end for the first time ever.

Made Christmas crafts. 

Planned a dinner and gift exchange with friends for Christmas Eve.

And....
Had our close friends over on Christmas Day for a wonderful dinner and to open stockings.
   

Our 2nd Christmas in Sitka, 2nd Christmas as a family of three, and our little Family's First Christmas by ourselves away from the rest of our family..... was awesome.  We still missed the family, the traditions, the crazy schedule, and all the driving around town, but it was definitely not a sad, lonely, or depressing Christmas.  At All.