Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Easter 2014

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend!  Saturday was spent prepping for Easter dinner, cleaning the house, boiling eggs and making a three layer carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  Go big or go home, right?  We put the ham in the oven when we woke up Sunday morning and after breakfast we opened our Easter baskets.  Sunday afternoon we had our usual group of friends over for our normal pot luck style dinner.  Everything was delicious and we were soooo stuffed afterwards.

I have been slacking on the holiday crafts since we all got sick, but I did manage this one piece, haha.
 (Decorative Glitter Easter Eggs are from Kohls, but now sold out.)


Saturday evening we decided to attempt to color eggs with Brinleigh and it actually went a lot better than I was expecting.  We got through an entire dozen without a single broken egg.  But I will say, I am super thankful for dark furniture.  Brinleigh seemed to enjoy herself and was not happy about the egg dying session being over, but she was so proud of her colored eggs.


I probably went a little overboard on Brinleigh's Easter basket but I was proud of how well it turned out.  I will continue to make it a goal to avoid candy as much as possible so I'm gonna have to work on becoming more creative as she gets older.
Growing up, my mom made my sister and I Easter baskets and Christmas stockings into our adult years and so I've always felt like it was a tradition that I wanted to carry on.  So I made Kolt an Easter basket and he made me one as well.  Kolt's basket had some new ear buds for the gym, a dive knife he wanted, some energy drinks, chocolate covered blueberries and some extra candy.  He got me The Pioneer Woman Cookbook, a car charger cable for my iphone, and a strawberry huller and slicer, all of which were on my amazon wish list.
I was also excited about using Brinleigh's personalized Easter basket liner for the first time since I bought it on sale after Easter last year.
 


 Brinleigh's Easter basket had a bubble wand, stuffed bunny, Fancy Nancy book, Tangled DVD, Thumper book, Minnie Mouse towel, Minnie Mouse feeding set, sunglasses and carrying case, and a few plastic Minnie Mouse eggs with some candy, which Mommy ate.


I think it's safe to say that the sunglasses and the carrying case were by far Brinleigh's favorite part of her basket.  She carries the case around all day with both pairs of her sunglasses or with one pair while she wears the other.  A few months ago I couldn't keep a pair of sunglasses on her for more than two seconds and now she wears them all day, even when she is watching tv.  She also constantly carries around a pink stuffed bunny that Kolt bought for her basket that isn't in the picture.


I used the eggs we dyed on Saturday to make my colored deviled eggs on Sunday and they were Amazing!  I got the idea last Easter from Pinterest, of course, and have decided that this is my new Easter tradition.  I also made some punch using a recipe that I got from one of my coastie wife friends.  She had made it the weekend before for her daughter's first birthday and I thought it was delicious, so of course, I had to try and make it myself.  This was actually my practice run because I want to make it for Brinleigh's birthday party this summer.
Directions for the colored deviled eggs can be found here, but I use my own mayo and mustard combo for the filling.


I spent way too much time on this cake but I was very proud of it.  I just used a couple boxes of carrot cake mix with pre-made cream cheese frosting in the jars.  I baked three separate round 8" layers with frosting in between each layer.  Then I frosted the outside of the entire cake.  For decoration I used a few drops of green food coloring mixed in with some shredded coconut to make some "grass" and then topped the cake with some peeps.  I forgot to take pictures of the finished product on the table, so I only have a picture that I took really quick the night before.


Brinleigh seemed to enjoy the Easter dinner more than she did the Thanksgiving one.  She especially loves the marshmallow fruit salad.



I get so caught up with all the discussions and eating and entertaining that I always forget to take pictures with our friends.  I forgot to have a family Easter picture taken, so we ended up doing a family selfie later on that night.  (Kolt had already changed out of his Easter clothes)