Monday, October 6, 2014

The Story of Lexi and The Lizard

While I am still working on my novel of blog posts about our travels, I figured I would go ahead and start sharing some stories from our time in Florida so far.

You know how most states have squirrels or birds that you will usually see running or flying around outside?  Well Florida has lizards.  I am not over exaggerating one little bit when I say they are everywhere.  EVERYWHERE!  Especially at our house.  I'm not so sure what it is about our neighborhood, or maybe its just specifically the location of our house, but at any given moment you can walk outside and see at least ten lizards scatter before you have even taken two steps.

With that being said......
One night I was going to the grocery store and since the weather was nice, I decided to go with no A/C and roll down all the windows.  I started my car and opened my sunroof and out of nowhere, I see a lizard hit the cup holders in my center console and then jump onto the floor of the passenger seat and then scurry up into the bottom of my dash board.  Is our lizard problem really that bad that they are making their way into my car?  So of course, I did what anybody else would do and I immediately lost my shit.  Now I'm not afraid of lizards, I'm just not used to seeing them everywhere and haven't fully accepted them yet as constant companions in my life.  So I run into the house screaming about a lizard running around in my car while Kolt looks at me like I've lost my damn mind.  He went out and searched my car and no lizard was to be found anywhere, but he also realized that the lizard was probably sitting on my sunroof and when I opened it, the lizard fell in.  Kolt tells me not to worry, the lizard isn't going to come back out of the dash board and it's probably going to stay in there and die.  He made sure to reassure me that lizards don't smell when they die so nobody will ever even know there is a dead lizard somewhere in my car.  I still needed to go to the grocery store but all I could think about was driving down the road and this lizard either popping up on my steering wheel or my shoulder and scaring the shit out of me causing me to crash.  I'm being serious about this vision.  I braved the drive to and from the grocery store with absolutely no sighting of any lizards inside my car.
A few days later......
Brinleigh and I went to CVS so that I could cash in on a laundry detergent coupon deal and as I am loading my six bottles of laundry soap into the backseat of the car, I move something and what do I see????  That damn lizard sitting on the seat.  I try to think fast about how to approach this thing to catch it and get it out of my car but I was too slow and it ran somewhere into the crack of the seats.  Of course I immediately text Kolt telling him that damn lizard is STILL in my car!  He thinks it's hilarious.
The following day, I went outside to clean out my car.  As soon as I open the back door, there is my little lizard friend, chillin' on the side of the seat.  Again, I was too slow and he ran somewhere behind Brinleigh's car seat.  I went into the house to tell Kolt and he did a detailed sweep of the inside of my car, to include making me remove Brinleigh's car seat.  No lizard.  This thing is taunting me now.  So I told Kolt to wait a few hours and then we will go check my car again and the lizard would probably be somewhere in sight.
A few hours later.....  Kolt and I go out to the car, me with flashlight in hand and Kolt ready to pounce (he lives for this kind of stuff).  Kolt doesn't see the lizard so I decide to look in the car and right away I see him sitting on the seat on the other side of Brinleigh's car seat.  So I start jumping around and pointing to where he is, while Kolt plans his sneak attack.  Kolt is a better lizard catcher than I am and he snatches it up on the first try.  The lizard bit him and then peed on him, but Kolt let him go in the front yard.
So thanks to my husband, my car is officially lizard free again.