Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Our first Thanksgiving as a family!


Well let me just start off by saying that I think we had an outstanding day, especially with a momma who only got three hours of sleep.  
I think I fell asleep around 5am this morning & then the baby woke up at 7am to eat.  We went back to sleep but she was ready to be up for the day at 8am.  Kolt woke us me up for the day & could tell right away that I was NOT in a good mood.  At all.  He got the baby's diaper changed & took her downstairs so that I could get some sleep.  Little did I know at the time, but he also took her with him to the grocery store to pick up some last minute Thanksgiving necessities.  This was a big deal because Kolt has never taken Brinleigh anywhere on his own without me AND I always get up with the baby & don't really get any sleep without her next to me.  When Kolt came to wake me up at 10am he had hot cinnamon rolls getting ready to come out of the oven.  HEAVEN.  That's what I felt this morning.  Even though I was still extremely tired, I couldn't help but be in a great mood.  I had a happy baby, happy husband, breakfast ready, & Kolt took the baby to try & let me get some more sleep.  
Kolt started cooking the turkey after breakfast & I got to take a nice long shower (another rare luxury for me these days).  We had our friends Cooper & Kate over for our Thanksgiving feast & also Kolt's boss whom he invited the night before.  (He is fairly new to Sitka & didn't have anywhere to go.)  We had Turkey, of course, mashed potatoes, white & brown gravy, rolls, green bean casserole, stuffing, Chinese cole slaw, some kind of squash or sweet potato casserole, & cranberry sauce.  We also had a pumpkin pie that I made the night before, which actually didn't get eaten because it turned out not so good (I'm blaming the pre-mixed pie filling that I bought for the first time to avoid making it completely from scratch.  WRONG.  It sucked.) & Kate made a chocolate chip cheesecake with oreo crust which was really good.  Of course, me being the picky & bland eater that I am, only had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, & rolls.  I was also quite proud of my portion control & avoided eating myself into a food coma.  (I'm still working on losing baby weight.After relaxing a bit & watching some tv, our guests left.  A few minutes later some of Kolt's friends showed up at the door & the next thing I knew I had a dining room full of guys, a baby & a 4-year old in the house.  Hahaha.  Kolt went back to one of the guys houses (they all live in housing) & I stayed home while Brinleigh took a late & very long nap.  Overall, a great day.  I have to say, even though I miss our family on this holiday, I really enjoy waking up & being able to stay home all day & not run around town to numerous houses.