Thursday, May 16, 2013

My First Mother's Day

What can I say, my first Mother's Day was absolutely Amazing.  Kolt got up with the baby so that I could sleep in a little and after I woke up I was surprised with my Mother's Day gifts.  On the kitchen table awaited a box of Dunkin Donuts which contained a special heart shaped and Bavarian cream filled Mother's Day donut just for me.  There was also a beautiful pink vase filled with a bouquet of lilies which had not yet bloomed and a special note from Kolt and Brinleigh.  And lastly, a small box wrapped in gold wrapping paper and topped with a shiny gold bow.  My little golden wrapped package was a necklace from Kay Jewelers that I had shown Kolt a few weeks prior.  It had a ruby, which is Brinleigh's birth stone, and white sapphires, which is Kolt's birthstone.  



After spending a quiet morning lounging around the house, we got ready for the day and headed to Elizabeth City.  Since this was Kolt's last weekend in North Carolina, he couldn't drive Tyler's car back to base, so Brinleigh and I had to take him.  We had a nice two hour drive to Elizabeth City, where once we were on base, we of course stopped at the exchange so Momma could shop a little.  Brinleigh got a bib (they didn't have much for babies) and Momma got a new hat.  After we left the exchange, we drove down to the private beach so we could introduce Brinleigh to the ocean.  Yes, she was born on an island, however, we have never taken her to the beach in Alaska since it's been so cold.  Brinleigh was NOT a fan of the beach.  I'm not sure if it had anything to do with her being tired or hungry, but she cried every time we set her feet in the sand and she almost lost her shit when we tried to put her in the water.  Since the Coast Guard base is in the Albemarle sound, the waves are almost non-existent.  Brinleigh kept a very close eye on the water, as in, wouldn't look away from it.  At all.  Even with Kolt or I holding her, if we walked into the water she did not like it one little bit.   











       
After our time at the beach, we went to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant before heading back to the base where Brinleigh and I said our Goodbyes to Kolt.  It was gonna be 3 weeks until we saw him again back in Sitka..... or so he thought.