Friday, January 24, 2014

Changes

Let's be honest.  This isn't my "families" blog, it's mine.  I just mostly write about my family.  Since I am now acknowledging that this is "my blog" I'm going to change a few things up.... again.  I am making it a goal in 2014 to not only write about Brinleigh and our family, but to also start blogging about my attempts with cooking (a 2014 goal) and the crafts and projects I work on throughout the year as well.  Which leads me to another 2014 goal, dedicate more time to MY new found hobby.... crafting.  Along with blogging as well.  I have really found a love for writing on my blog and that is another goal for 2014.... to stay more updated and blog more frequently.  Especially with my busy life as a mom and wife, this has pretty much become my personal journal, my record keeper, a small photo album, and a way to update all of our family.  I will try not to offend anyone with my sense of humor or my sailor mouth, but I am also warning you that this blog is mine.  You will read my personal thoughts and I will write what and how I want to write.  So if the word "shit" offends you, I suggest you cease and desist any further reading.

I've recently become obsessed with decorating and celebrating every holiday.  Yes, this includes Hallmark Holidays such as Valentines day and St. Patty's day.  But I am also using the holidays as an excuse to dive deeper into my crafting hobby.  So I have recently become well acquainted with hobbylobby.com and plan to make a lot of my own holiday decorations.  I just placed an order a couple days ago for all of the Valentines decorations that I want to make and I will keep you all updated on how it goes.  I'm not gonna lie, most of my craft ideas come to me via pinterest, so if they turn out good, don't go thinking I am a creative crafting queen.

My first attempt at the holiday crafting was in November.  I don't have any Fall/Thanksgiving decor so I decided to make some.

This tulle wreath idea came from Pinterest, I just chose my own colors.  I ordered a round foam wreath and several different colors of tulle from hobbylobby.com.  I did make the mistake of ordering glitter tulle (I thought it would be really cute) and it ended up looking like someone dropped a glitter bomb in the middle of my living room.

 This "Give Thanks" banner is inspired by one that I saw on pinterest.  When I see things I like I don't usually follow specific directions on how to make it.  I take note of the items I might need to make it and then go from there.  I ordered the burlap triangles, some metal eyelets, and brown ribbon from hobby lobby.  I had stencils and brown paint already, so I stenciled the letters and then painted them in.  Once the paint was dry, I used a hole puncher to put "holes" in the burlap.  I inserted the eyelets and used a hammer to flatten the backs of them.  Since the burlap shreds really easily some of the eyelets could fall out so I added super glue around each of them to glue the eyelet to the burlap.  Once the glue was dry, I added the ribbon and then proceeded to spend two hours hanging and re-hanging the banner in different locations all over my house until I settled on the doorway from the kitchen into the dining room.