Monday, January 20, 2014

18 Month Check Up

Today we had Brinleigh's 18 month check up and it was .... interesting, to say the least.
First off, Brinleigh seems to hate the doctor's office more and more every time we go.  Today she was fine in the waiting room, playing with the toy table and reading books.  When the nurse called our name, Brinleigh walked right through the door on her own.  She followed the nurse over to the scale and even let her take off her coat.  As soon as the nurse went to take off Brinleigh's shoe, our sweet one year old completely lost her shit.  I set her on the scale, which mind you, she absolutely loves to stand on at home, and she literally jumped into my arms.  Taking her height? Oh you can forget about that, she started stomping around and kicking her feet like a little baby ninja.
Once we were in the patient room we had to wait for thirty minutes which for some reason seems to be the normal routine nowadays.  (This is a recent development and we are not fans of the new doctor visit routines.)  However, it was our doctor that came in and not a nurse practitioner, which was nice.  The more the doctor tried to touch or interact with Brinleigh, the more upset Brinleigh got.  She pretty much cried through the entire visit, up until we had to lay her on the table and remove her jeans so the doctor could check her hips and her legs, which was when Brinleigh launched herself into a hysterical coughing fit.  So, as any mother would do, I picked my baby girl up off the table and held her to try and calm her down.  And that is the moment that she decided to stick her fingers in her mouth, gagging herself and then projectile vomited all over me and the patient room floor.
Kolt was pissed.  Vomit free, but very upset.  He absolutely can not stand to see Brinleigh get upset.  He leaves the patient room when she has to get shots because he can't stand to see her cry from pain.  So after Kolt and the doctor cover me with towels and attempt to wipe me down, Kolt grabbed Brinleigh and bolted for the car.  I got to sit, covered in baby vomit and continue the visit with the doctor.  Sans vomiting ninja baby.
The doctor did tell me that she thoroughly believes that Brinleigh has a recollection of the doctors office and knows that she gets poked with needles every time she comes there and therefore, does not like the office or anyone who works there.  Since I have never seen my child #1 get so upset as she did today or #2 vomit..... EVER! I will say that I agree with the good doctor.  Brinleigh remembers and hates the doctors office. 
During this visit we didn't have to get any vaccines or shots, except the flu shot which was optional.  Obviously we chose not to get the shot and we might try again later.
I couldn't even tell you what the nurse recorded as Brinleigh's weight or height, but according to my own personal records of what we do at home, she weighs 25 lbs and is 31 inches tall.  The doctor said she passed her autism screening, which I'm not even sure what she did or checked to screen for autism.  But I wasn't in my normal "ask a million questions" mindset that I usually am in when we go for check ups, so I didn't ask.  Brinleigh is in the 30th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight.  I can't remember what she said about her head circumference but she did say it was perfect.
Brinleigh was absolutely fine as soon as Kolt got her in the car and she carried on her day as though there was never any temper tantrum, ninja kicking, projectile vomiting doctor visits.  Thank God she isn't due for another check up until 24 months.